I have been observing the negative impact a Principals speech has had on my daughter's school community.
A few wrong words have spun many parts of our school community into chaos.
As the author of Conversational Intelligence, Judith E. Glazer says, "Words create worlds", I think they also divide them!
A few ill chosen words have created strong emotions within our local community and it has made me reflect on how vulnerable leaders are in this age of social media.
* the different meanings we make of the same words.
* the quick positions we chose to take.
* how we can easily believe that our perspective is right and the only way of seeing
* the power of social media and the speed at which news travels straight into our
homes and our lives.
* how freedom of speech can quickly turn into shaming and blame.
The Principal I mention has delivered many empowering and uplifting speeches, which sadly I don't believe she will be remembered for.
It also highlights the importance of Mindful Leadership and how we need to:-
* demonstrate compassion
* hold back on our initial responses and emotions
* embrace difference of opinion and perspectives
* use adversity as an opportunity for growth
* be ok with getting things wrong and making mistakes
* be forgiving and compassionate
* accept apologies and to move on.